This research is a work in progress. Much information is incomplete.
If you would like to add or change information, please write to me at cowley(at)addr(dot)com.
GEORGE MAURER MOWRY
Thanks to Don Mowry of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, USA for the following info.
George Maurer Mowry was born in 1725 in Lancaster Co, PA. The names of his parents or his wife is unknown. He was killed on August 8, 1757.
Extracted from Pennsylvania Gazette, August 1757, Lancaster Co. PA:
Near Benjamins Clake's, house four miles from the mill, two Indians surprised, Isaac Williams wife, and the widow Williams, Alias Smelley, killed and scalped the former, in sight of the house, she having run a little way, after three balls had been shot through her body; the latter they carried away captive. About the same time, as George Maurer was cutting Oats in George Schaffers field, He was killed and Scalped, two miles from the hill, so that it was not all done by One Party.
The wife of George Maurer Mowry is unknown. She and George had six sons.
- Mathias, born about 1740 in Lancaster, PA; died in service. Mathias went into the service during the Revolutionary war and was never heard from again.
- Honsteter, born 1743 in Lancaster, PA; died 1801 in MD.
- Christian Mowrer, born 1747 or 1748 in Chester Co., PA; died about 1789 or 1790 in West Moreland, Co. Married Margaret Klingensmith.
- John Mourer, born 17 May 1751 in Lancaster, PA, Hempfield Twp; died 1826 in Lancaster Co, PA, Hempfield Twp; buried in E Petersburg, Union Cemetery, Hempfield Twp. Married Elizabeth Gettman.
- Daniel Mowrer, born about 1755 in Lancaster Co, PA, Chester Co, PA; died 16 Jan 1807 in Chester Co, PA. Married Mary?
- Abraham, born about 1753 in Lancaster, PA; died 1773 in Lancaster, PA. Abraham fell from a roof in 1773 and was killed.
[ back to Family History home ]