This research is a work in progress. Much information is incomplete.
If you would like to add or change information, please write to cowley(at)addr(dot)com.
Dr. David Cowley
Dr. David Cowley was born in Ireland on November 18, 1830 to parents Samuel and Jane Thompson Cowley. As an infant, David and his family immigrated to the United States. Showing an aptitude for learning, David first began studying medicine under Dr. J. P. Drake of Pennsylvania. He pursued learning while in Philadelphia and began his practice in 1852. Dr. David returned to Pittsburgh in 1863 where he established his medical practice on Penn Avenue. He held the honorable position of President of the Homeopathic State Medical Society.
According to the 1880 U.S. Census, Dr. David and his family lived at 226 Penn Ave., Pittsburgh, PA. At that time, David's sister-in-law, Catherine Mowry (or Moury), aged 44 and her brother, Philip Mowry (a bookkeeper), aged 38, were also residing with David's family. Bridges Carr, aged 26, an Irish immigrant, was also residing there as a household helper.
Dr. David Cowley died on October 30, 1886. His body was cremated at Sampson's Crematory on Sixth Ave., Pittsburgh. David was a firm follower of the teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg and the Academy of the New Church (also known as the Swedenborg religion). He was 56 years old at the time of his death.
obtained from a "Who's Who in Pittsburgh"-type book
"Dr. David Cowley graduated from the Homoeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, now Hahnemann College, and began the practice of medicine in Philadelphia in 1852. In 1863 he removed to Pittsburg, finally locating in 1868 at East End. He was numbered among the leading homoeopathic physicians of the city until his death, which occurred October 30, 1886. To him and his wife, whose maiden name was Margaret Mowry, eight children were born. Of these three lived but a brief time. The others are: Margaret, Henry, Eliza, David, and William. Henry is a Swedenborgian minister, and David is a student."
obtained from a newspaper clipping
"Last Sunday there went out from among us, never to return, one whose nobility of character and talented mind were the attractions which gained for him the love, esteem and admiration of all who had the fortune to be numbered among his friends.
We refer to Dr. David Cowley, who, for the past 17 years, lived a life of usefulness in this community, and in whose taking off we lose from our midst a man worthy in every way the respect and esteem which was universally tendered to him. To his family is the greatest loss: for in him they possessed a kind father and loving husband.
A large concourse of friends of the deceased assembled at his late residence, on Penn avenue, Monday afternoon, to attend the last sad rites, the only duty left them to perform.
The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Whitehead, of the New Church, who spoke in a highly impressive manner of the deceased's connection with the church, his good works and able exposition. The sermon was listened to with an intensity of feeling that left no eyes free from moisture.
Dr. Cowley was born in Ireland, of English and Scotch parentage, in 1830, and was in the 56th year of his age at the time of his death. He came to this country with his parents when in his infancy, and showing when quite young an early predilection for study, was given the opportunity of a good education. He first began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. J. P. Drake, after which he attended a course of lectures at Philadelphia at which place he afterwards located and remained for eight years, when he returned to Pittsburgh, in 1863. The same year he was married and continued to practice medicine on Penn avenue, in the city, where he remained till 1869, when he entered upon a course of practice in the East End which only ended with his death. From habits inculcated early in life he was an untiring student, and soon placed himself in the front ranks of his profession. He enjoyed at the time of his death the honorable position of President of the Homeopathic State Medical Society.
When yet in his teens he, after careful reading and research, received the doctrine of the 'New Church' which is founded upon the theological writings of Emanuel Swedenborg. He studied the doctrines of his faith assiduously and became an able exponent of them. Being a believer in creamation as a proper way of disposing of the dead, his wishes were carried out in this respect, and his body was reduced to ashes in Sampson's Crematory, on Sixth avenue, on Tuesday.
A wife and five children are left to mourn his loss, the oldest of which is Dr. Wm. Cowley, who recently graduated from the Philadelphia Homeopathic College, and has had charge of the late Doctor's practice during his illness and who will succeed him."
Margret Mowry was born in 1838 in Pennsylvania to parents John C. and Margaret Mowry (who were first cousins). On November 19, 1863 she married Dr. David Cowley. Rev. Benade (of whom Henry Benade Cowley was named after) officiated the wedding. She died in 1902. Margret had eight children, though three died early on. They all were born in Pennsylvania. Their five living children included the following:
[ back to Family History home ]